Church History and Map
Historic Designated Area
W P Cochran Homeplace
On the campus of Cochran Chapel are three sites designated as historic by the Texas State Historical Society. The first is the family home of the William and Nancy Jane Cochran family. They first settled on this piece of property in 1851 building a small cabin on their 640 acres. The house that still stands with the historic marker was built in 1895 as the family homestead and is still in use today.
The second is the site of Cochran Chapel United Methodist church itself. It is the first piece of deeded church property in Dallas County. The original hand written deed still hangs in the Sanctuary as a reminder. The property was formally deeded to the Methodist church on July 11, 1856.
The third historic designated site is the church cemetery which is located just south of the Sanctuary. It is the burial place of the original Cochran family and many of their descendents. Buried in this cemetery are some of Dallas’ earliest pioneer families, Civil War veterans, slaves and Indians. It is truly hallowed ground.